920.730.0200 or 1.800.942.2882

About Tony Welhouse

Tony's clients are workers who have been injured on the job from accidents, lifting, and repetitive motions, and workers who have been injured due to exposure to toxic substances.


Tony received his law degree from the University of Wisconsin Law School. He has been representing injured workers as an attorney for over 35 years. Before he began representing injured workers, Tony worked for the Workers' Compensation Division of the State of Wisconsin as a workers' compensation judge. Since 1995, he has been listed in the Best Lawyers® in the practice area of Workers' Compensation.



Tony graduated from Kaukauna High School and Lawrence University. While working his way through school, he worked on his family's farm, and for Badger Northland, Keller Structures, Thilmany Pulp and Paper, and Lawrence University. He sings with the St. Mary Parish Adult Choir, and the Appleton MacDowell Male Chorus.

Contact Tony Welhouse for a FREE CONSULTATION

920.730.0200 or 1.800.942.2882

Denied Workers’ Compensation?

After your work-related injury, the workers' compensation insurance carrier or your self-insured employer might decide to deny all or part of your claim for workers' compensation benefits or medical expense. The workers' compensation insurance carrier or your self-insured employer might deny your claim that you have been temporarily or permanently disabled from your work injury, or that you have incurred medical expense in connection with your work-related injury. The insurance company or self-insured employer's basis for the denial might be their allegation that your injury did not happen as you've said it happened, or that the problems you had after the work-related injury are really due to a pre-existing condition. Denials can be challenged by applying for a workers' compensation hearing.

Wisconsin Workers' Compensation

Temporary Disability Benefits

How Do Temporary Disability Benefits Work? If you are recovering from a workplace injury or illness (mesothelioma, asbestosis, silicosis, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc.) and you are currently unable to work, you should receive temporary total disability benefits until your doctor determines that you can return to work. For most workers, these benefits amount to two-thirds of their average weekly wage at the time of the injury. If your doctor says that you can perform lighter work during your healing period, and your employer has that lighter work available to you at less than your regular wage, then you may be able to receive temporary partial disability benefits which would pay you for two-thirds of your wage loss.

Permanent Disability Benefits

How Do Permanent Disability Benefits Work? Some workplace injuries and diseases can result in permanent disability. Even if you can return to some form of work, your doctor may rate you as having a percentage of permanent disability. If you reach an end of healing, and are unable to perform your job, permanent disability benefits can provide the income you need to make up for your lost earning capacity. If you are unable to perform any job after your work-related injury, you may be entitled to collect permanent and total disability benefits for life.

Disfigurement Benefits

How Do Disfigurement Benefits Work? If you suffer from scarring or some other type of permanent disfigurement that might impact your future employment prospects, you may be able to receive compensation for your potential wage loss. Some common examples of disfigurement include:

→ Scarring that results from a work accident or surgery related to the work-related injury
→ Burn injuries suffered from the work-related injury
→ Amputations from the work-related injury
→ A limp caused by the work-related injury

Retraining Benefits

How Do Retraining Benefits Work? Generally, if, at end of healing, your employer does not have work for you within 90% of your pre-injury average weekly wage, you have an opportunity to make a claim for vocational rehabilitation benefits payable at the temporary total disability rate during the time you are in school getting retrained. You may also make claim for the actual cost of tuition, fees, books, and mileage in connection with your course of retraining. In order to qualify for these retraining benefits, the Wisconsin Division of Vocational Rehabilitation or a certified private rehabilitation counselor would have to approve your course of retraining.

Reasons To Consult with Tony Welhouse

The insurance company denies payment of some compensation or medical expense.
You lose your job, or have your wages cut because of a work-related injury.
The insurance company sends you to see its own doctor for an evaluation.
The insurance company wants to settle part or all of your case.
You have trouble breathing because of fumes or dust at work.
You have scarring, amputation or a limp from a work-related injury.
You are retired and have trouble hearing because of the noise you were exposed to at work.
You or your spouse dies from a work-related accident or disease.

The workers' compensation insurance company or your self-insured employer says "your file is closed" or the statute of limitations has expired on your case.


You have a work-related injury that was caused by someone other than a co-employee or your employer.

Contact Tony Welhouse

100 West Lawrence St., 4th Floor
Appleton, WI 54911

FAX: 920.730.0801